Saturday, October 31, 2009

What are fillings like?

ive just been to the dentist for a checkup and she told me that i need around 6-8 fillings for my back teeth! that sounds horriblle. i mean im 17 and i havent had any fillings before. i brush and floss regularly and dont eat THAT much sweet stuff.im not looking forward to it at all. i was wondering do they hurt alot or are there any side affects? and will they be really noticable? i mean im getting quite a few so will it be really obvious? i cant get the white ones either, its going to cost around 拢100 each or something if i do.
Answer:
For the most part the procedure is no big deal. Afterwards you won't even know the fillings are there unless you look in the mirror. If you can actually feel them then they weren't done right.The most painful part is when they are being put in. They give you shots to numb your gums - and they should swab on a topical pain killer before giving you the shots. However, the shots never kill all the pain for me. Plus you have all the pressure from the dentist pushing around in your mouth.If you can make yourself relax and not worry too much about the procedure you will get through it much better. Once the fillings are in place you will notice an increased sensitivity to hot and especially cold foods as the metal conducts the heat/cold toward the nerve of you tooth. And you defiantly do not want to bite down on a piece of aluminum foil.Because the fillings are a different color than you're teeth, they will be visible. But since you're talking about back teeth try watching people talk and see how often you notice or can even see anything other than their front teeth.
Hello, I got my first filling when I was 17 well I say filling I mean root canal but thats only because I was scared an left it too long. So by the time I was 18 I had 2 fillings, now I am 20 I have 6 fillings. I too really look after my teeth an yet my ex bf brushed once a day an eat more sweets than me, his 28 an need just 1 filling please someone explain this to me.
I just feel some people are blessed with good tooth and others are not. I have 2 white fillings which cost 拢53 for both as my dentist gave me the 2nd for free.
They are not that noticable to be honest, an most if not all people have them except the lucky amazing stone made teeth people.
Apparently enamel is the most hardest thing on your body, I must have a very weak body then but I've broken a bone.
It also doesnt hurt when having a filling.
I bet you drink coke though,I lost 3/4 of my teeth when I was 22 because I drank the stuff.Take my advice and drink nothing but water or milk and chuck the sugary sweets, you hate yourself when you have false teeth like I do.
The first time I ever went to the dentist was when I was 15. My parents never had dental insurance and couldn't afford to take us kids. At that time I needed a bunch of fillings and a root canal!
The dentist will numb you up so you won't feel anything. The fillings are noticable but if they are on molars nobody will see them unless you open your mouth wide.
Just make sure you get them done or if you wait it could get worse and then you'd need a root canal like me
I am 16 and had a filling put in a few months ago. They give you an injection to numb it so it won't hurt - the injecton is the most painful... don't worry about the injection though because it is so quick. I panicked about it for ages but I was fine with the injection. It stings for like.. 5 seconds.People have more sensitive and thin teeth than others. I eat a lot of sweet stuff but I've only needed 1 filling so far. If you are worried about the injection then ask your denist to put gel on it first. The gel will numb the gum slightly.My filling is silver but no one ever notices it. I even look at myself in the mirror and can't see it without pulling my cheeks back.
counting
I've had more fillings than I care to think about! It doesn't always come down to how well you look after your teeth, some people just have weak teeth. Fillings don't really hurt. The injection they give you to numb your mouth stings a little bit but that's the worst bit really. You shouldn't feel the drilling once your mouth is numb. The sensation is a little unpleasant but it doesn't hurt. And the fillings should barely be noticable if they are at the back.Good luck!
As a person who is rather phobic about my teeth (and going to the dentist), I sympathise with your plight. I've only had one filling in my adult teeth, and that was about ten years ago - since then, a regular hygiene programme verging on the paranoid has meant that I have had clear check-ups since then, and also very few trips to the hygienist.In my experience, limited though it is, I found that the fillings didn't hurt at all. It was a bit uncomfortable having it done, but that was more to do with the sensation of fingers in my mouth. The thing which was weirdest was the vibrations from the drill - I could sense it, but not feel it (make sure you get a local anasthetic!). The worst sensation was having the local - but do hang on for that to kick in!If you go to the hygienist on a regular basis, you'll know what that feels like; I think that's a lot worse than having the fillings.Once you've got your fillings, they may feel a bit sharp for a couple of days, until the top smoothes down. That takes a bit of getting used to, so watch out for your tongue!Otherwise, they're not that bad - and if they're at the back of your mouth, they won't be noticable at all. I've not experienced any side effects with my filling, and I wouldn't expect to, either. Ignore the horror stories / films about dentists - they're human, too, and not out to cause pain and disfigurement! ;-)Best of luck, and hope that you don't work yourself up into a state before the appointment - you'll make it hurt a lot more if you don't relax and are worried about it all.
When I got my fillings in, about 3 years ago it was the first time I went to the dentist. Having the actual fillings in weren't painful at all, it was the drilling that was the worst. Although, they do numb the area so don't feel it as much.I wanted white ones too but couldn't afford them either. Mine aren't too noticeable as I only have 2 but 6-8 might be, but only like when you're yawning or laughing. I was upset that had to have them done because I was only 20 when I had them put in and up until that point, I considered my teeth to be "perfect", now, I'm used to them. However, when they need to be replaced, I will get white ones...lol!Don't worry too much about it though, it happens. And although you may have good oral hygiene, there is something happening to your teeth based on what you're eating so be mindful of that.
well so many fillings at such a low age seriously not happening! amount of brushing or polishing is not important but the correct method of doing it is of more importance which usually people ignore , heriedietary factor does play role in it so check out!
well fillings dont hurt no side effects only a little sensitivity initially which subsides gradually.it wont be obvious if you get glass ionomers or composites and if they are really deep than can even go for ceramic inlays as these are the most esthetic restorations being done widely today!
Wow, 6~8 is a lot. Have you been to the dentist often? Or is this your first time in like... 10 years? But if you need the fillings, I really recommend you to get them. Getting fillings normally doesn't hurt, unless it reaches your nerves, which never happened to me yet (I'm 13, but my mom's a dentist), and I don't think there can be a lot of side affects unless they are really deep cavities. Do you drink sugary drinks or drink milk before you sleep? These are some of the worst things to your teeth. And so, are you getting the silver ones? It might be quite noticable, if you are still 17, you still have a long life so maybe you should get the white ones (even though it costs a lot). Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net