Sunday, October 25, 2009

Trumpet and Braces.HELP!!!?

Ok, so I just got my braces 2 days ago. I've been playing trumpet for over 5 years, and I'm one of the top 35 musicians in the state, so I'm not just a beginner. I know it might be too soon to know for sure, but the first day, I managed to get a weak and airy C major scale out. It gets less and less airy everyday, but I'm wondering if that will hold up. Will I get better? Will I be able to play like how I used to? Should I use the wax, although it's not painful when I play, but who knows, this is only my 3rd day. What exercises should I do? ANY ADVISE WHATSOEVER?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!...
Answer:
i think you will be ok after some practice with the braces and tooting yer horn. just like anything you need to get used to it! congrats on your talent and your soon to be beautiful toofers!
there is like this plastic thing you place on your braces so it doesnt cut your lips up and it helps a lot and you might be able to get more air when you play
Everything from eating, kissing, and playing the trumpet will get better as you get used to the braces. After a while they will feel like a part of you and you notice them much until you get something stuck in them. Just give them time.
I had to go thru braces twice, and had them for 7 years!! I played the flute, and for the first 2 weeks, I could barly play at all. I noticed when my lips got used to being stuck out over my braces, I started to play as usual. Your lips are not where they usually are, so its wierd. Hope this helps.
You'll be fine. I have had many students go through this in junior high/high school. It's just a matter of time. You will get used to the braces being on. Just keep practicing. If your mouth does start to hurt, be sure and use the wax for a while. After a couple of weeks you should be close to normal again. The braces may change your tone a slight bit, but nothing that can't be fixed with a little extra work. Things will get better! Good luck to you in the future. Playing an instrument takes a lot of discipline. It will help you in the future, I promise. Not only musically, but in your daily life as well.I know it's helped me. Kept me out of a lot of trouble in high school and college!!
WELL I HAVE BRACES TO AND I PLAY THE FLUTE AND WHEN I FIRST GOT THEM I COULDN'T PLAY THE BFLAT MAJOR SCALE BUT AS I GET USE TO MY BRACES I SOUND BETTER BUT IF YOU TELL YOUR DENTIST THAT YOU PLAY TRUMPET AND TELL THEM TO GIVE YOU SOME WAX FOR YOUR TEETH IT HELPS!!

1 comment:

  1. Ask your ortho for the wax strips you put between the braces and the lips. That will help with braces and the trumpet playing. It ain't pretty but it works.

    ReplyDelete

 
vc .net