Tuesday, May 25, 2010

What can I do to prevent my constant cavities!?

I don’t eat a lot of sweets, and I do drink water that has fluoride in it. I brush my teeth after each meal. I brush 3 times a day. I floss 2 times a day. I use “Listerine Tooth Defense Anticavity Fluoride Rinse” 2 times a day. So in theory, I should have clean, cavity free teeth, right? Not the case. After all that oral hygiene I am still getting constant cavities. I go to the dentist every 4 - 5 months to get cavities filled. On each visit there is anywhere between 2 - 5 cavities. I’d also like to add that some of the cavities seem to be recurring in the same places on the same teeth. So my question is, how can I prevent these constant cavities? What can I do that I am not already doing? Any advise or suggestions from anyone will help!
Thank you!
Answer:
Have you discussed this with your dentist? That would be the BEST answer.
Some people just have weak enamel, either genetics or from medication as a baby.
I think I'd try another dentist...not that yours is necessarily wrong, but if they're refilling the same places...they aren't putting the fillings in correctly to begin with!Some people just have genetically weaker enamel. There may not be a LOT you can do, but getting fillings that often is really excessive, especially when you're doing so much to prevent it! Get a second opinion and see if there are any teeth you can have 'sealed'.
time to look at your diet - maybe you are lacking in calcium which makes your teeth weak to cavities.I would suggest you eat a slice of cheese after every meal, the cheese makes cavity creating molecules unable to breed, and so therefore will cut down cavity action. Stop eating acidy fruit as the last thing you eat after a meal, the acid in the fruit makes cavity germs more active...it is not true that an apple a day keeps the doctor away, just a myth.So a slice of cheese as the last thing to eat, bump up your calcium intake, eat acidy fruit in the middle of your meal times.good luck
well i have no cavities so maybe go to the dentist mo and see what will happen and take a couple steps back and breath ; ] =0
try getting an automatic toothbrush. No matter how well you think you are brushing, it will not replace the job an automatic toothbrush will do. Also, try a prescription fluoride product that your dentist will prescribe. Thirdly, do not get those tooth colored fillings in back teeth, they are more prone to breakdown and do not last as long as the metal (amalgam) ones do. ANd lastly, I hate to even go there, but if you keep getting cavities and your dentist has NOT suggested any of these things, consider switching dentists. I think you may have a case of an overly aggressive dentist.
You could just have little natural enamel on your teeth and they are prone to cavities.When I was growing up I had cavities all the time (because my teeth didn't have much enamel). Now all my teeth are either fake, filled, or crowned. Thousands of dollars later...If your dentist can't explain what the problem is, then I'd get a second opinion.
How many sodas do you drink? or sweet tea? or juices? All of those things contribute to tooth decay, especially recurrent decay. Think about this, when you put something liquid in your mouth, from the time you start drinking it until 20 minutes after you finish it, your mouth is making the acid that causes cavities. When you put something chewy in your mouth, like dried fruit or candy, from the time you start it until 40 minutes after you finish it, your mouth is making that acid. Hard candies like peppermints are TERRIBLE for you teeth. Look at how much time you expose your teeth to that acid and it may help you prevent some of the cavities. Keep a food diary for a day or two and add up the exposures. It might tell you a lot.
Good luck!
If you are truely honest about your diet, then it's possible that your saliva flow is reduced. Are you taking any medications that have this side effect (xerostomia)? Have you had any radiotherapy? Does your mouth feel dry most of the time? Are you over 40 years of age?
If any of these answers is "yes", then you may have reduced saliva flow. The saliva can be stimulated by drinking more water, by chewing sugar-free gum or by medications like pilocarpine.
Another alternative is to use a CARBAMIDE PEROXIDE bleaching gel in a professionally made tray as this has a pH 12, so reduces the acidity in your mouth. A side effect is whiter teeth, but I'm sure you'd cope with that! It has been used to treat rampant caries (ie whole mouth decay)
well for a start stop using the listerine.!! a few yearsago it was found that the PH in listerine was too high and softened the enamel on teeth and peoples teeth were rotting causing unexplained amount of cavities, also you are brushing too often twice a day is sufficient, over vigorous brushing can damage the teeth also it is either that or you have a satanic dentist, have you asked him why you need all these fillings? if you havent i suggest that you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net