Tuesday, May 25, 2010

What can a dentist do for me that I can't do for myself?

I brush and floss regularly, but lately I am concerned that this is not enough. My teeth seem extra sensitive to cold or touch. I don't have dental coverage and I'm wondering what can a dentist do for me that I can't do for myself?
Answer:
A dentist can do invasive things (fill cavities), remove tartar from inadequate brushing and remove stains (called a "scale and polish"); and do more thorough exams (x-rays) than you can; otherwise, there is little a dentist can do that you cannot do yourself. If you go to a dentist about your sensitivity problem, s/he will give you the following advice: (a) don't brush so hard/use a soft-bristled brush; (b) lay off the teeth-bleaching products; (c) use a toothpaste to reduce sensitivity (a decent one is Sensodyne ProNamel, if you live in Canada or the U.S.). The FDA recommends, if you are experiencing no dental or gum problems, one dental exam and cleaning each two years. Contrast that to dentists, who claim you need two exams and cleanings a year. At my last dental exam, I was told my teeth were clean and healthy (little tartar/scale) but stained (I drink coffee, tea and red wine). I had no cavities or other problems, although I did have problems with gum disease and cavities as a young adult. My dental routine consists of flossing and brushing once daily (rarely I brush twice), being careful to brush all surfaces of my teeth (front, biting surface and back), and quickly brushing over my gums and tongue--taking about 3 minutes total to brush. I also use inexpensive mouthwash occasionally. I use a whitening toothpaste, but I quit using other whitening products because they made my teeth sensitive. So after getting this clean bill of dental health, the hygienist cleaned and polished my teeth in about 10 minutes. The cost for the x-rays and exam + cleaning cost about $110. I had not seen a dentist in 7 1/2 years. Long story short: If you are not having any serious problems, you can go at least 2 years between exams. Follow the flossing and brushing suggestions above, and you should have clean and healthy teeth, even if they aren't movie-star white. Shop carefully for a dentist, and avoid any who won't give you price quotes on the phone, or who seem intent on selling you extra services. If one dentist claims you have lots of cavities or need a bunch of fillings replaced, go get another opinion.
Drill and fill cavities, in fact, x-ray and find the cavities, sometimes the sensitivity could be due to a cavity.
gum disease is a big deal, and regular dental maintenance can prevent or postpone gum disease. Since gum disease has links to heart disease, seeing a dentist at least every other year is a good idea.
Dentists are also trained to identify other illnesses, like cancer of the mouth.
Now now now, a dentist can do many things that you cant do yourself. Thats why they go to school for so long to do it! If your teeth are sensitive to cold, you could be having some recession of the gums. Use a flouride rinse such as ACT to strengthen the surface of the tooth that is exposed by the gums receding. If they are sensitive to touch, you might be having some issues with the nerves in your teeth, cavities or something else. Just to make sure i would suggest that you go to your dentist, it will only cost you 50-100 for a check up and a couple xrays if needed...good luck!
Charge you ridiculous amounts of money.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net