Tuesday, May 25, 2010

What can happen if an abscessed tooth goes untreated for a couple of days?

So I've had an abscessed tooth for five days now (I couldn't go sooner due to problems with my insurance and places being closed over weekends), and I had these symptoms: extreme pain, high fever, extreme fatigue for four days, now I am on antibiotics and feel much better, but I have to ask- should I be concerned that some damage was done during those four days? I am still in pain, but not as much, and I just developed a new symptom- a tingling sensation and numbness in my hand.
Answer:
Generally, a week or so won't make a big difference, though if things keep acting strange after you're done with the antibiotics, get in contact again with your dentist/doctor. The thing to remember is that your mouth is close to major nerve centers, so the infection have had some effect on them, and/or in the course of clearing out is going to come into some contact with these extreme nerve centers. Go see a doctor if your hand or other extremity gets cold, completely numb, or starts turning blue, cause at that point something is moreso wrong.
Dont worry about damage being done. As long as you started on the antibiotics you will be fine. Ive had 2 molars with the same problem. But since you are still pain, id suggest you go buy some motrin 500 mg. ASAP. My dentist prescribed me ibuprofen which is the same thing.
WORSE CASE THE INFECTION TRAVELS DOWN TO YOUR HEART AND YOU DIE FROM SEP-TUS...BUT I HAD ONE FOR THAT 2 MONTHS AND NOTHING HAPPENED TO ME BUT IF IT IS NOT NOTICEABLE JUST GET THE TOOTH PULLED IT CHEAP.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net